Youth Maker Club (YMC)
August 2019-July 2020 / Extended – December 2020
LED Liechtenstein Development Service
To create a supportive, collaborative platform where VET students can proactively investigate, strengthen and enrich their technical skills necessary to perform specific tasks and solve real-life problem.
- VET students’ hands-on skills of using various technologies acquired during workshops and programs at Fablab and Tekwill have enhanced.
- VET students’ capacities and initiatives to come up with own ideas and to implement them have been improved.
- Self-esteem, self-assurance in own talents and abilities of the students from vocational schools have been increased.
- Maker-activities by VET-students are promoted actively.
Description of the project
The project will create a nurturing learning environment that will provide a series of diversified activities, including fun ones that require hands-on application of science, technology and crafts (including mechanics, electricity, electronics). Beyond the technical skills, students will be able to strengthen essential soft skills like problem solving, communication skills, critical thinking, basic digital skills and working in teams.
In the inception phase of the project, Orientation sessions will be organized in all vocational schools located in Chisinau, followed by Open Doors /Maker Days, aimed at informing students about the new opportunities and facilities provided by Tekwill and FabLab Chisinau.
The core Makers’ space activity – “Youth Maker Club” – will put the students in a different working environment, helping them to acquire new skills and abilities, to work in a team and to implement joint projects during workshops after classes on the premises of FabLab and Tekwill. The guidance and mentorship will be ensured by experts and engineers from makers community.
Additionally, during the project period there will be organized Hackathons/Makeathons, Bootcamps/Summer camps, Meetups with the duration froom 2 hours to 3-7 days aimed to encourage young people to participate along with their peers in small-scale projects, applying knowledge and skills to solve a given problem, learn from professionals and explore the technologies and innovations in engineering field.
All activities of the project will be reflected in local and social media to increase interest of young people towards technologies.
- Creation of pool of mentors for activities with VET students.
- 10 orientation sessions in VET schools in Chisinau about opportunities to develop tech and digital skills.
- Open Doors at Fablab – presentation of workshops within Youth Maker Club (over 30 students attended).
- 40 Workshops on 3D printing and modeling, Raspberry Pi, Arduino and woodworking have been organized, in which participated over 45 students.
- Meetup with professionals on November 30.
- 1st Makeathon for 21 students on December 14.